PEN GEORGIA AND THE TUTA-RESIDENCY OF THE NATIONAL TRUST OF GEORGIA IN TBILISI ANNOUNCE WRITERS’ RESIDENCY COMPETITION
Call for International Writer-in-Residence in Tbilisi
Issued February 7, 2024
2024 Tuta International Writer-in-Residence in Tbilisi, Georgia
Ilia State University (ISU) and the U.S. Embassy are proud to present the 2024 TUTA International Writer-in-Residence program in Tbilisi, Georgia. This exciting initiative, part of ISU’s The Memory Project (2023-2025), is hosted by the National Trust of Georgia and supported by PEN Georgia and the U.S. Embassy. Writers worldwide are invited to apply for a residency focused on the theme “Memory, Heritage, and Tomorrow.” The residency will be based in the city’s historic Avlabari district.
Applications will undergo a blind review process, ensuring that the identity of the applicant remains undisclosed to the reviewing committee. The committee will be made up of members from PEN Georgia and The National Trust of Georgia.
The residency apartments are located at the beautifully restored headquarters at National Trust of Georgia in the neighbourhood Avlabari in the historic old Tbilisi, near the city centre. It includes two balconies, a kitchen, a shared space, and is independent from the offices below.
Description of right candidate:
The right candidate will be one with a strong interest in the area and relevant theme. (Candidates need not have direct prior experience in the Caucasus).
Writers should be established in their field. The right candidate will demonstrate an interest in a relevant area (i.e. literature, regional history, heritage preservation, architecture, etc.)
Journalists, researchers, and writers of all kinds are all welcome to apply.
The following commitments are required:
– Ability to fully commit to a full month of writing and/or researching.
– One short story or non-fiction piece for possible inclusion in a book on the above theme, to be published in English and Georgian.
– At least 1 article for local press
– 2 public appearances to introduce writer to community (university, public events, etc)
– 1 public reading
Writers may incorporate the residency into larger projects if this scope is made clear in the application.
Writer-in-Residence Application Guidelines
As of February 7th, the National Trust is accepting applications for the 2024 Writer-in-Residence. The residency will run for at least 4 weeks (extensions may be requested) in 2024. The preferable period of the residency is between June – November 2024.
Obligations of the National Trust of Georgia
– Support in presentation and networking
– Flight Ticket
– Honorarium $1000.00 USD
– Per diem $30.00/day
Application Package should include:
– A cover letter introducing yourself and a short exposition on what would make you a good choice for the residency (1 page max)
– A short proposal for possible topics based on areas of interest and expertise (1 page max)
– Preferable month of visit and timeline. If the residency will be a part of a larger project, please include these details here
– Resume or CV
– A two-page writing sample (this may be an excerpt from a larger work.)
Application submission instructions:
– Email applications as PDF or Word .doc, .docx to Lali Pertenava at firstname.lastname@example.org
– Applications will be accepted until midnight, March 31, 2024 (Tbilisi Time)
– Subject line: International Writers’ Residency Application